Postsecondary Tuition Waivers for Eligible Foster Care Youth
The Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program, created by Act 16 of 2019, seeks to remove barriers in accessing a postsecondary education for youth who are or have been in foster care. This waiver applies only to charges that remain after all other gift aid (federal, state, and other scholarships or grants) have been applied to the student’s account. This will allow eligible foster youth to complete their studies, graduate with less debt, and have the opportunity to build a network of support.
The program is being administered collaboratively by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) in conjunction with the PA Departments of Education, Human Services, and Labor & Industry. For additional information please visit: https://www.pheaa.org/funding-opportunities/other-educational-aid/foster-education.shtml.
To participate in the waiver program, eligible foster youth must first file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit a Chafee ETG Application (visit PHEAA.org for additional information).
To be eligible for the tuition waiver, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Pennsylvania resident
- Be under age 26
- Received a high school diploma or equivalent approved credential
- Be eligible for services under Pennsylvania’s John H. Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood
- Be identified as a youth in foster care or a youth discharged from foster care at age 16 or older
- Exited foster care on or after age 16 to adoption or permanent legal custodianship
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate, at least half time in a postsecondary institution that is approved by the U.S. Department of Education for Title IV student assistance programs
- Demonstrate financial need for the PA Chafee Education and Training Grant (Chafee ETG), as determined by the postsecondary institution
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress, as determined by the postsecondary institution
- Not be in default on a federal student loan
Upon your acceptance at Automotive Training Center, please contact the school’s Financial Aid Department for verification of eligibility for the tuition waiver.
Financial Aid Director